White supremacists claim they’re victims of oppression. They don’t know what oppression is.
Sometimes a Twitter rant really captures the truth and says what you wish you could say. That happened on this weekend, after torch-wielding Alt-right” (or “White Nationalist” if you prefer) protesters marched on the University of Virginia’s Rotunda Friday night, then gathered on Saturday for “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville that led to 35 injuries and one death.
A photo of these young men holding Tiki torches went viral on Twitter and drew scathing comments.
America has been left stunned. Yet the GOP’s president refuses to call out radical White Nationalist terrorists responsible for the violence. Instead, he said there is “bigotry on all sides.” One Twitter user, calling himself “Large Adult Goat” (And since seems to have changed names to Julius Goat) had been tweeting about the events, but one thread from early Saturday morning — before the day’s violence had even commenced — really captures the cowardice and stupidity of what many call the “Alt-White” especially well.
“Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression.”
This photo of the white supremacists hypothetical: “Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression. These white torch-wielders are angry because of the notion of white oppression? Really? Do they even know what it is to be oppressed?”
Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression. pic.twitter.com/dhPCbtfEjO
— A.R. Moxon (@JuliusGoat) August 12, 2017
In his tweet thread, Large Adult Goat counts the ways that these cowards have never faced any such oppression:
- Nobody is trying to legislate away their right to marry.
- Nobody is trying to make them buy insurance to pay for ‘male health care.’
- Enslaved their great-grandparents.
- Robbed their grandparents.
- Imprisoned their parents.
- Shot them when unarmed.
- There is no massive effort at the state and local level to disenfranchise them of the vote.
- There is no history of centuries of bad science devoted to ‘proving’ their intellectual inferiority.
- There is no travel ban on them because of their religion.
- There is no danger for them when they carry dangerous weaponry publicly.
- Their churches were never burned.
- Their lawns never decorated with burning crosses.
- Their ancestors never hung from trees.
- Their mothers aren’t being torn away by ICE troopers and sent away forever. They won’t be forced to leave the only country they ever knew.
- The president has not set up a hotline to report crime committed at their hands.
The real ways that minorities, women, and immigrants are oppressed go on every day, with new ones added — like the travel ban and hotline for reporting illegal immigrants — since the rise of Trump. Then the witty Goat goes on to find out what’s behind the meaning of the White Nationalist’s chant, ‘We will not be replaced.’ What do they actually want anyway?
Replaced as … what? I’ll tell you.
They are chanting 'we will not be replaced.'
Replaced as … what?
I'll tell you.
— A.R. Moxon (@JuliusGoat) August 12, 2017
Large Adult Goat then observed, “They [the white supremacist “protesters”] are chanting ‘we will not be replaced.’ Replaced as…what? I’ll tell you.”
- Replaced as the only voice in public discussions.
- Replaced as the only bodies in the public arena.
- Replaced as the only life that matters.
- THIS is ‘white people’ oppression: We used to be the only voice. Now we hold the only microphone.
- THIS is ‘white man’ oppression. We face criticism now. We were free from it, because others feared the consequences.
- THIS is ‘oppression’ of white Christians in this country. Christmas used to be the only holiday acknowledged, now it’s not.
The Large Adult Goat reveals that the Alt-Right/Nazis are protesting a world in which they are not able to freely oppress others without reprisal. But what if the oppression they project were suddenly made very real for them? Could they take it?
- I would so love to see these people get all the oppression they insist they receive, just for a year. Just to see.
Give them a world where you ACTUALLY can’t say Christmas.
- A world where the name “Geoff” on a resume puts it in the trash.
- Give them a world where they suddenly get a 20% pay cut, and then 70 women every day tell them to smile more.
- Give them a world where their polo shirt makes people nervous, so they’re kicked off the flight from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis.
- Give them a world where they inherited nothing but a very real understanding of what oppression really fucking is.
- Give them a world where if they pulled up on a campus with torches lit and started throwing hands, the cops would punch their eyes out.
- Put THAT in your Tiki torches and light it, you sorry Nazi bitches.
- Good morning, by the way, how is everybody.
Sometimes a Twitter rant, despite the limit on word count, can really capture the essence of a situation succinctly. Trump might take note. This is one such time we have reached catharsis via the wit and satire of one Large Adult Goat. Trump may not be able to openly criticize the Alt-right racist nazis or Vladimir Putin for that matter. He knows that’s where his ever-shrinking support remains. The rest of us must demand that America refute what we used to take for granted was no longer acceptable.
As another famous Twitter user, God put it:
Nazis are villains. Opposing them is heroic.
Nazis are villlains.
Opposing them is heroic.
— God (@thegoodgodabove) August 12, 2017
Because of Trump, these extremists feel empowered. He has hired many of them to hold positions in his administration. Don’t be silent. Ask your Representatives to demand the Alt-Right influence be removed from the White House. America has come too far to backslide into a world where cowardly racists and literal Nazis feel empowered to rally in our nation’s streets in the light of day.
Special thanks to One Large Goat for your amazing insight today, and our heartfelt sympathies to the people of Charlottesville, Virginia.
Featured image: Screenshot from Twitter